Tuesday 17 May 2011

About me and my blog

This blog is primarily for me to discuss the topics that worry me in todays society in Britain. Predominantly the vilification of those who are sick and disabled and their lack of rights and power in this country to do anything to assist themselves against vicious government cuts and a hideous slander campaign. I read other peoples blogs and am involved in several groups and after seeing the apathy and lack of activity in one group recently have decided that rather than wait I shall start my own blog and raise the issues that need raising myself.

I am 24 years old and I live in mid wales. The current health conditions I have are PCOS, M.E., an unspecified immune deficiency, severe dental problems and hyper mobility. The predominant problem for me is the hyper mobility which has left me wheelchair bound as I have a very severe form of this condition which went undiagnosed and untreated for many years. As you can understand, being in a wheelchair means that I am as concerned as anyone else in the UK at the moment about the government cuts to the welfare system with regards to the long term sick and disabled as they will directly affect me.

I should point out now that despite what the government may wish people to believe very few people on benefits, particularly those who are on benefits specifically for the sick and disabled, are scroungers. I myself am not a scrounger. I would love the opportunity to work but very few positions exist out there for someone who can only work part time in a wheelchair and would need a lot of time off due to illness. I have attempted to start my own business but was unable to because my hyper mobility worsened and I was unable to do the tasks that I would have needed to do to start a business at home.I should also point out that I am severely dyslexic and so please forgive any spelling or grammar errors that I make. To this day the dyslexia support team at the university I attended are puzzled as to how I managed to completely my degree with such a severe level of dyslexia.

The current state of the welfare system in the UK is atrocious and the governments plans to cut the welfare budget severely are dangerous and harmful. I will talk about this and also my own health and experiences and the lack of media support for those who are sick and disabled in the UK. If this sounds good to you then please follow me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment